Sunday, January 21, 2007

Happy Birthday?

Today marks the ending of a sweet score of years that I, of all others, was able to enjoy, and with hope, tomorrow will mark the beginning of another.

It certainly meant a lot to me. 20 years of joy and sadness (though the latter rules most, it made the former sweeter still) now comes to a wrap up. I was reading the newspaper together with my mom the other day, and then all of the sudden, I realized the passing of time, no thanks to the great grand old maid that is Chong Wen Ching.

On the very verge of my golden years (maybe, well on second thought, probably not), I reflected on my past, straining my grey matters to locate even the slightest of my achievements so far, which as usual, came to naught.

Despaired and in desperation, I asked mom what have I been doing all these years. Am I a filial child? Have I any skill or trade that might make you proud? Am I standing at the pinnacle of human evolution because I still have no girlfriend? (I mean, if I can’t get a girlfriend, obviously I can’t be getting married. And if I can’t be getting married, I won’t be able to have any children. There will be no person after me, right? That means my genes had reached an evolutionary dead end, right?) In fact, I even pressed further and asked her, “Mom, why am I not a gifted child?”

“Well, of course you are. Don't be silly. If we ever have to pay for you, we would have picked a much better one. Anyway, don’t ask me anything. I passed my first 20 years 4 decades ago. Now go haunt your father instead.”

So much for family togetherness. I think one reason Malaysia can’t progress is because of this but I have no qualms about it. 20 years of good home-cooked food is a godsend.

Speaking of food, it leads to the fact that I can’t hold my 21st birthday party because my grandma is admitted into the hospital. It is now 2 weeks since she is first hooked on an oxygen tank. Her heart is failing but her condition was much better yesterday. Her body is small and frail but there was the usual impish twinkle in her eyes where I find home.

Now, apart from wishing my grandma good health, I’ll also be hankering for MU to bury Arsenal 6-0 in premier league competition tonight and thus go 9 points clear off Chelsea. I hope that Park ‘oxygen tank’ Ji Sung will take part too. It’s a long, long time since MU wins the premiership.



Park Ji Sung

So, tomorrow will mark another ‘glorious?’ chapter in my life. I wish to extend my thanks to all my friends of my first 2 decades for staying and standing by me. Hopefully we can still be stand together in many years to come. Three cheers to another score of inter-buddy-entertainment!!!

No comments: