Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Three Ringgit Bet

2 days before I start working, my brother took me to look around the firm. We saw the building, talked bout other things when we came to the question of food.

"There are many foods to choose from in Jalan Alor. I think your colleagues will invite you to dine with them. Don't worry those guys are quite thrifty." He said.

"Well, that's good. As long as its under 3 ringgit then it will be ok" I said.

"3 ringgit? I bet you eat shit!"

"Well, what do you suggest huh? My pay is low. I try my best to get a 3 ringgit meal. Sister-in-law said that she found a 2-something mixed rice before." I protested.

"She's a girl mah. You are a boy. You want to eat as much as her? In my workplace, my meals are guaranteed RM5 and above. Anyway, I would really like to see how you survive on RM3 on food per day". He said.

He threw me the gauntlet and so the challenge is on. Below is the list of food and their price from monday to friday.

Monday>> >Mixed rice, no drinks-------------------------------------RM3.20
Tuesday>>>Roast chicken rice, no drinks------------------------------Rm3.50
Wednesday>Mixed rice, no drinks-------------------------------------RM4.00
Thursday*>Mixed rice, boiled sugar cane water-----------------------Rm5.20
Friday>>>>BBQ pork rice, no drinks----------------------------------RM4.00

*on thursay, my colleagues went out for field work. So it was up to me to decide what to eat. I wanted to look for roti canai, but the shop has no customers, no houseflies, just waiters. So I decided to have rice instead. Drank boiled sugar cane water because my sore throat was getting worse(for not drinking water for the last few lunches)

So, to reach my mark of averaging RM3 or less for each lunch, from next week, I have to
bring soy sauce so that i can swallow down plain white rice,
or bring sandwiches from home (that's cheating),
or have bread & buns everyday
or even roti canai kosong with kopi O.

By the time I'm done, I am ready to go to hospital. So what do you readers think, huh? My pride's at stake.

No comments: